As you can tell by my last post and now this that I am obsessed with keeping my skin looking dewy! I refuse to let age get in the way of great skin ! It's no great secret that as we age we lose the dewiness in our skin. There are a lot of factors involved... lack of sleep , poor diet, alcohol , and as we approach menopause we start to lose our hormones , oestrogen especially being needed to keep our skin plump and dewy. Sebum production slows down too due to the lack of hormones and this starts to make our skin dry.
Fortunately it is not all doom and gloom and we can reclaim our dewy with a few products and a few tricks.
1. Stay hydrated. Keeping our bodies hydrated is important to flush out all the toxins. The first place that shows a build up is our skin, so if we want to keep it clear looking keep up your intake of water. I drink alkaline water - Kangen water - and I swear by it. It is not only alkaline but it also contains hydrogen ions that act as an anti oxidant to fight the free radicals in your body that cause it to age.
2. Use Retinol products. They can help speed up production of new skin cells and collagen production. A few of my favourites Sunday Riley Good Genes , Chantecaille Retinol Intense and Dr Dennis Gross Alpha Beta Extra Strength Daily Peel. ( I swear by the Dr Dennis Gross peel pads. They leave my skin looking brighter instantly! I use them twice a week. ) Used in conjunction with Glycolic products which slough the dead skin cells and leave the skin looking brighter.
3. Use cream products on your skin instead of powders. Powders on the skin as we age tends to settle in the lines and exaggerate them , leaving the skin looking dry. If you have to use a setting powder over your foundation I prefer to use a very light no pigment powder that doesn't cake. My two favourites are the Mac Prep & Prime powder in the compact and By Terry Hyaluronic Hydra Powder.
For blushers I use Hourglass Illume Sheer Colour Trio. This pack has a cheek blush, bronzer (which I often use as a blush ) and a highlighter all in one. Perfect for keeping the skin looking dewy. Another fave is the RMS Beauty Lip2cheek , which as it says can be used on lips too.
4. Mix a tinted moisturiser and a foundation together. This is my winning combo these days. I was finding that my foundation was making me look old. It just wasn't sitting right on my face - and I had tried 3 different foundations to see if it was the formulas but they all made my face look dull. So I decided to mix in my tinted moisturiser one day. The tinted moisturiser was just not lasting enough on its own anymore. I would find by lunch time it had all but disappeared and I was reapplying ... so it was sat with all the other unused beauty products in my bathroom until I stumbled on the winning formula. Now I get comments on my skin and I swear it is because of these two products together. I use Shu Uemura Petal Skin and Eve Lom Tinted Moisturiser. And for the record, I have no problem mixing different products with different brands. Sometimes there are no rules!
5. Use serums and oils on your face. Because serums are made up of finer molecules and penetrate deeper into the skin to do their magic. And oils hydrate the skin deeper too and leave it looking more plump and juicy. Try the Darphin range of oils... chamomile and the 8 Flower Nectar are divine. ( My last blog post talks about them ) or Josie Maran 100% Argan Oil .
And serums... Drunk Elephant C Firma Day Serum , Codage Serum No.1 Intense Moisturising Serum & Nude Skincare ProGenius Omega Treatment Milk.
(scroll over products for deets. :)
I have been a makeup artist for over 20 yrs and am passionate about beauty and helping women to look the best they possibly can. I believe that women are beautiful at any age , and being older myself, am constantly on the look out for products that will help the skin retain its glow and beauty. From a very young age I have paid attention to my skin and have always gone looking for new, innovative - or even tried and true products that make a difference. I take inspiration from my friends and women I meet in my work. These women are the reason I started this blog , so that I can pass on my knowledge and help women to keep looking, and feeling amazing . I love finding new looks that inspire and you can adapt to your own style . I am also a mum with 3 boys which keeps my life very busy ... and never dull as anyone who knows me will attest to! All items posted on this blog are chosen because I have personally tried them and like them. I hope you find something here that you will love and will work for you.